Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Celebration of Purpose

I started this post once already and felt like I was writing an essay. Maybe it's just habit, as my life as a BYU English Major consisted of writing essays virtually non-stop, but I couldn't take it.
I feel like I've forgotten how to write with personality. I'm not necessarily referring to 'voice', which adds sparkle to a paper and allows the reader to relate to the writer and his point, but merely to me.
I wanted to start this blog as a way to encourage myself to be active and crafty (in the creative sense, not the shifty one), but it hasn't really worked. I've been so busy with fulfilling the duties of wife, mother, and housekeeper - essentially the combined tasks of a homemaker - that I haven't really been able to step outside the norm and really craft.
Or so I thought.
As I've pondered this blog, it's purpose, and my failure at achieving it, I realized that the purpose of the goal was flawed. Instead of trying to create a way to encourage me to do new, cool, trendy things that I could share in a fun way with others, I should have made this blog with the purpose of celebrating the crafts and achievements I succeed in doing every day. Sure, there's definitely no harm in learning and exploring new avenues of creation, but why should I think the creations I make everyday are not share-worthy?
I should be celebrating the meals I make everyday - the meals I usually make-up from the ingredients in my cupboards - the meals that my 2 year old, Felicity and husband heartily enjoy!
I should be celebrating the finger paintings I artistically splatter with my 2 year old - the fun and messy craft that help my 2 year old learn and grow while having fun!
I should be celebrating the choreography I dance about to while listening to music with my little guy and Felicity!
I should be celebrating the make believe games I play with Felicity, as well as the journal entries I write, my baked masterpieces that make mouths water, the songs I make up and sing to Felicity, the noodle necklaces, the play-dough people, the reasons I have to think up on the spot for why Felicity can't drop things in the toilet or why the wall isn't the same as paper when it comes to coloring.

I should be celebrating womanhood! wife-hood! motherhood!
I should be celebrating the gifts and talents the Lord has blessed me with. The things it's taken me a lifetime to learn how to do.

So here's the official change in the purpose of my blog.
Crafting a Hearty Home is the site I will use to celebrate the creative progression of an eternal family and my part in it through the simple moments I steal away from time.

And maybe this way, I'll lose myeslf in the Lord's work of raising a righteous, healthy - serving them and thus Him eternally. And by losing myself, perhaps I'll find the personality and voice I'm looking for. Perhaps I'll find me.

2 comments:

  1. So Profound! I can't wait to see what happens next with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I am so glad I read your blog. I have felt the same way lately. That's why I stopped writing in my blog, I just didn't feel like me when I was writing. It was like I was trying to be someone else, or felt like I was too boring to have anything worth saying. You have totally inspired me, so thanks for this post!

    I'm so excited about your house and little William. I've been thinking about boy names lately (not pregnant, and didn't know your son's name) and kept coming back to William. I'm glad you like it too!

    Next, so jealous about that piano! I hope you are banging away at those keys, reliving those wondeful memories of being in the basement. Aren't you so glad those days are over?

    Also, you are an excellent writer. I just finishe my millionth paper (you've been there, you know) and wish I could write like you. These academic papers are killing me. KILLING me. And my dynamic personality, as you know.

    Anyway, I want you to know I love and admire you. I can't wait to see what life brings you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete