Monday, May 24, 2010

Strep

It's amazing how much life gets harder when you get sick. I mean, in highschool it really wasn't that bad. Yeah, you lie at home in bed, watching a movie and wishing the pain would go away, but that's it. Your school work will be taken care of in due time and otherwise you're fine.
It's much harder when your job is to stay home and watch a little one who doesn't understand you're sick. Who doesn't see why she can't have a bite of whatever I'm eating too, and who gets bored not being able to go outside. Poor thing.
She's so patient.
I remember having strep once before in my life, in junior high. I was so sick I just lay in bed dripping a Popsicle down my throat, doing everything possible not to swallow. Luckily I don't seem to be that sick this time...though I may have just grown up some.
Fortunately, our insurance company has this thing called "teladoc." We get 3 free phone calls per person to a doctor who, if they can adequately diagnose our sickness over the phone, will prescribe us medicine and send it to the pharmacy of our choice. Now I must admit, when I first heard about this I was skeptical. I thought, who would trust something like that if they were super sick? Then when my little Lissy got a bad rash I thought about using it, but decided not to since rashes are so ambiguous, even if you go into the doctor they can easily not know what it is from.
However, when I suddenly became ill on Saturday and spent all night writhing in pain I got up Sunday morning with a resolve to teladoc and get medicine! I was certain it was strep, because I've had it before and because when Mike looked at my tonsils they were red with big white spots all over them. So instead of trucking over to the emergency room, which would have been my only option otherwise since doctor offices aren't open on Sundays, I called up the doc.
He was very kind and had perfect bedside manner, even though I wasn't there next to him on a bed. He asked me what I was feeling and listened well. Right when I said my tonsils had spots on them he said "oh dear" and listened to the rest of what I was saying. When I was done he pronounced that since my tonsils had spots and since I had a fever and chills, that it definitely wasn't a soar throat caused by a virus, but one caused by streptococcal bacteria. He quickly prescribed me amoxicillin, after asking if I'd had it before.
Then Mike drove out and picked it up an hour later.
All in all, VERY worth it! Thankyou teladoc!

Now I'm just desperately hoping and praying that neither Mike nor sweet Lissy will catch it. I'm almost certain I'd have to take Lissy in to the hospital since it's so painful to eat she probably wouldn't.
Prayers in our behalf would be so appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. It’s interesting, compelling content. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject.
    wellness

    ReplyDelete