Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tasty Crock Pot Recipes

Thought I'd post a shorter and much lighter post today than last.
I spent a good majority of today watching my Aunt Dora's 2 littlest ones and afterward talking to Dora about...well, everything (you know how women can be).
One of the things we brought up was crock pot dinners and how easy they can make life!

I thought I'd share some of them with ya'll:

Classic (Sunday) Roast:
Easy and delicious! Simply place the roast in the crock pot with carrots potatoes, onions, and whatever else you might want (or you can cook it by itself). Then add water and the seasonings you prefer. I generally put in seasoning salt, garlic, onion powder if I didn't put onions in it, Italian seasonings, and pepper. Simple turn it on to cook! On high it only takes a few hours and will still be fairly moist and yummy. For an even more most and peel apart roast, cook it on medium or low for many hours (depends on crock pot).

Curry Dinner:
This one was told to me by my sister-in-law and is awesome! This one is great because you can cook the rice, the curry sauce, the meat, and the veggies all at the same time, in the same pot! Easy clean up! simply put the rice, the curry block of paste, which you can get at almost any store in the foreign section (I go with mild because I don't like spicy!), the meat: chicken, beef, pork, whatever you prefer!, and then the veggies. The veggies can be fresh or frozen and can be whatever you like! Carrots and potatoes tend to make it heavier, while corn, broccoli, and green beans tend to be lighter...and almost more like a chili. Then add enough water for the rice to cook and the sauce to be...well, saucey. Set it for a few hours and you're good to go! So delicious, and kind of out of the normal for most!

Taco Soup
I call this one my food storage dinner. It, like all crock pot meals seem to be, is so easy! I tend to make this one big so there are plenty of leftovers. I'd say it makes enough for 6. The key to this recipe is to not drain the cans! Go ahead and pour all the contents into it, that saves the nutrients at the bottom and helps fill your liquid quota! Add 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of kidney beans (you can swip-swap those if you'd like), 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, about 6 oz. of tomato sauce, a can of corn, water (thicken it to what you like, it can be more of a stew or more of a soup), cumin (I use this liberally), and a little pepper. No need to add salt to this puppy, as the salt to preserve canned vegetables will be more than enough! You can also add chicken or ground beef. If you add the meat it will need to cook long enough that the meat cooks, otherwise it just needs to cook until it's warm. This is a recipe that works great in a big pot on the stove too. Serve with corn chips and shredded cheese on top! Yummy.

These are just three of many! I love collecting crock pot recipes, so if ya'll know of any, please share! The more the merrier!

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment